Advisement

This blog is intended to share my experiences with you on what parts I use and how I use them and how I install them. I am sharing this information to help others who run into the same issues I may run into. I will be including lists of parts and tools as well as links to the items I have purchased. Please be sure to only use parts for your specific vehicle.

My Pages

Friday, February 26, 2016

Tow hitch install

So I like to mountain bike ride at various locations.  On my last car I installed a tow hitch.
I searched Craigslist.org and Amazon.com

I found a junk yard here in Arizona with a scion that was wrecked.   Its a pretty friendly yard and you can pull your own parts or ask them to pull them for you for a charge of course.

Glendale Auto Parts..se habla espanol
6430 W Orangewood Ave., Glendale AZ 85301
East of 67th Ave between Northern & Glendale Ave.
Hours: Monday-Friday 7:30-5:30

I went to see how many parts I could find for my xb.  I needed 2 rear seat head rests, the drivers side fender inner liner for sure.  Optional items I was looking for was a tow hitch and catalytic converter.   

I found 2 good seat heat rest, the inner liner, and luckily the junk yard car had a tow hitch.  For 50 bucks I couldn't beat it.  So I went back to my car and brought my tools.  Well I brought my electric 1/2 in impact gun.  But forgot all my sockets.  Luckily I had my adjustable wrench and was able to use it to break the bolts loose and bring the hitch home.  It is a CURT Trailer Hitch   I brought it home and installed it to my XB that night.   


  1. I removed the stock tie down hangers at the rear end. 
  2. I had to remove the rubber exhaust hangers to lower the muffler down to gain access to install the hitch.  
  3. I then raised and installed the hitch using the bolts supplied with it from the junk yard.  
  4. I then re-installed the muffler to the rubber hangers.   
  5. Basically, that all it takes to install the hitch.   





Bolted to the frame in place of the rear tie down hangers.









Time to install - approx 45 min.   On my back in the driveway, with the wheels on the ground.  Could be down faster if you put the back end on jack stands.

Tools used - 14mm socket for the hanger bolts, 17 mm impact socket for the hitch replacement bolts, lubricant, pry bar, impact gun.

Parts used - CURT Trailer Hitch

No comments:

Post a Comment