Advisement

This blog is intended to share my experiences with you on what parts I use and how I use them and how I install them. I am sharing this information to help others who run into the same issues I may run into. I will be including lists of parts and tools as well as links to the items I have purchased. Please be sure to only use parts for your specific vehicle.

My Pages

Monday, February 29, 2016

Exhaust - Muffler replacement.


When I purchased my XB I found that the check engine light was on.  As a standard practice I take my snap on Ethos scan tool with me when looking at used cars.   I found that it had P0420 for a Catalyst below efficiency code.   The car has over 200k miles so I expected that the catalyst would be bad.

I purchased the catalyst, resonator and the muffler so as to be sure to replace everything in one swoop.   with this high of mileage I might as well do it now rather than piece by piece.   

The first item I replaced was the Muffler.  I purchased a Walker 54602 Quiet-Flow Stainless Steel Muffler Assembly from Amazon.com.  It was pretty quick delivery and only took a couple days.

It fit very well.  The rubber hanger are in the right location as the factory ones.   The assembly is the correct size and fit into the same spot without issues.   The coupling to the factory exhaust system was spot on.   I reused the old factory clamp and gasket for now because I will be replacing the complete exhaust system one my replacement oxygen sensor arrives.

Couples to the factory pipes without issues. 
Muffler fits into the factory location without issue


Exhaust hangers are in the right locations.
I noticed that the muffler tip does not reach to the back of the bumper opening.   So a muffler tip will be needed.  Otherwise the exhaust fumes will just gather under the bottom and swirl with the turbulence and possibly come back into the passenger compartment with the windows down I would think.

Muffler tip not long enough.
Be sure to use a lubricating oil on the rubber exhaust hangers to be able to slip them off the factory barbs.   It is pretty tough to get off without it.   The flare on the tips are pretty big.

I preparation for the exhaust replacement I sprayed Kroil on all the exhaust nuts and bolt to get the rust soft, then I broke the bolts loose and re-tightend them.   Now Im ready to go once everything is here.



Tools used to replace the muffler.  Lubricating oil, Pry bar. 12mm socket, 3/8 drive ratchet.

Parts used, Walker 54602 Quiet-Flow Stainless Steel Muffler Assembly

No comments:

Post a Comment