Advisement

This blog is intended to share my experiences with you on what parts I use and how I use them and how I install them. I am sharing this information to help others who run into the same issues I may run into. I will be including lists of parts and tools as well as links to the items I have purchased. Please be sure to only use parts for your specific vehicle.

My Pages

Monday, March 14, 2016

Hidden 12 power outlet install

I have a Garmin Nuvi GPS unit inside my vehicle.  I use it frequently in personal and business life.  I enter in addresses and location of bartending events.  I use it to check traffic along the way to places both personal and business related.   One of the things that bothers me is having the power plugged into the cigaret lighter port.   It sticks out and occasionally gets in the way of me shifting.  It also looks ugly.  One of the things I wanted to do in  my previous vehicle was to wire in a power port behind the dash somewhere so it was not visible and would power on with the car.  

So I purchased a cigarette light socket port with a pigtail lead from Amazon.com




I started by removing the lower panel containing the cig lighter and ash tray.   They all just pull out so its not too difficult.  Now i had access to the connectors.   Note, the positive connector is the smaller one.   Ground is the larger one. 

I installed these connector adapter splitters.  They let you add a circuit while keeping the original circuit.   They are great.  Just be sure that nothing else can touch the positive terminal.   I would put electrical tape or something similar around any exposed metal of the positive terminal so it doesn't short out.  I used crimp on female spade terminals to connect the power socket wires.

Notice that the top connector has been ground down a little to be small enough for the factory positive connector to fit. 
Cig light wires connected with female terminals.


Factory connector in place with the second circuit in place.  

I ran the wire down from the factory light to the panel just below. 





I set the whole assembly in between these ducts behind the lower  panel.  It is held snug.

All buttoned up and lower cover re-installed. 


Ran the wire under the dash, past the steering column and up through the speaker grill.
Fits just right in the lower corner. 




Tools used in this post- pick, connector crimper, sand paper (to grind down the positive terminal)

Parts used in this post
Female spade connectors,  connector adapter,  cig lighter socket,.



What else can I share. Tell me your thought or comments or requests.  I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.
Vince.

No comments:

Post a Comment