Advisement

This blog is intended to share my experiences with you on what parts I use and how I use them and how I install them. I am sharing this information to help others who run into the same issues I may run into. I will be including lists of parts and tools as well as links to the items I have purchased. Please be sure to only use parts for your specific vehicle.

My Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Stereo replacement

I didn't like the stock stereo.  I really wanted Bluetooth connectivity and to play music from my 80gig Apple IPod.  

I decided to buy a JVC KW-R910BT unit.   It has the bluetooth hands free I wanted, I can control my iPod through the usb connector and it has and aux input.   I has the normal CD, FM, AM as well.  It will take up the whole space from the stock unit and I just thought it would be more appealing.




Metra wire kit IBR-WHTY2. I used this wiring kit to plug directly into the factory harness.  Installing was a breeze with the this.


It has instructions on what each wire is for.  It is super simple to connect to the JVC stereo. 




I used Metra install kit 95-8202.  This was to fill the gaps left between the stereo and the factory bezel trim.

The included instructions are helpful but could  be better. 
The packaging for the install kit. 
What the pieces look like. 






  • This is how I replaced the stereo.



Remove the knobs.  Then you can remove the two phillips screws.   
Next remove the silver trim bezel around the console.
Remove the 10mm bolts holding the stereo to the car. There are 4 of them.  I used a magnet to remove the screws once they were loose  

Then remove the 4 factory 10mm bolts holding the mounting brackets to the factory stereo. (This photo is after I already installed the brackets to the JVC Unit.  But you get the idea)

  • At this point I connected the Metra Wiring kit to the JVC unit wiring harness.  I don't have pictures of that process, but it was really easy using the Metra wiring schematic in the package.  Basically just connect Grey to Grey, Blue to Blue, etc.   I used crimp style terminals to butt the wires together.  


So Here I installed the mounting brackets and the install kit.  Notice the install kit piece sits just back of the face of the JVC stereo.  To me this is the appropriate position.  When I first installed the stereo the pieces sat forward of the JVC (next picture) and I thought it look bad.  So I redid it like this picture. 

Here the install kit was sitting forward of the JVC unit at the top.   I didn't like it. 

Here are the screw positions I used to get the kit to sit more flush with the JVC stereo. 

Another angle to see the kit and the factory mounting screw locations. 
Another angle to see the fit kit installed flush.




I then installed a USB cable to connect my iPod to the JVC unit.  I ran the cable to the side and behind the HVAC controls. 


The cable ran down the inside of the center console and over into the glovebox. I just ran  the cable over the edge of the glove box.  No need to cut any holes or anything. 


Completed and back in place.   Looking good with the trim install kit sitting pretty flush with the rest of the trim.


When pairing the JVC unit to your phone via bluetooth, be sure to follow the JVC unit instructions.  I didn't read them fully and thought I knew everything, but it turns out that you need to accept the pairing on the JVC unit in order for it to stay connected.  As well as accept it on your phone. 







There it is.  Hopefully this information is helpful.

Parts used in this post- JVC stereo, metro wiring kit, metro mounting kit spacers, crimp terminals (to connect the Metra wire kit to the JVC wire harness) , electrical tape.




Tools used in this post - Phillips #2 screwdriver, pick, magnet



What information do you want to know about?  Do you have questions I didn't answer in this post?  Leave a comment or email me.

Thanks
Vince

No comments:

Post a Comment